Tuesday, September 05, 2006

I have been reading a lot of hype about “Fur” which is an imaginary biography of Diane Arbus. I stars Nicole Kidman and is set for U.S. release around November 10. Nicole Kidman? I admit that I can be very opinionated, but I try to keep an open mind about things. I must say that I cringed slightly when I heard that Nicole Kidman would be portraying Diane Arbus. It is not that I dislike her or have any doubts about her abilities as a thespian. As far as I am concerned, she pretty much walks on water for being married to you know who for as long as she was. I just didn’t envision her when I think about casting Diane Arbus. I am not sure who I would have chosen, possibly someone along the lines of Lili Taylor? I think I would have gone with someone with just a bit more edge, but what do I know? The casting directors aren’t asking me for my opinions.
When I was in San Francisco a few years back, I saw the Arbus show curated at the SF MoMA. It is still at the Walker Art Center in Minneapolis for a few more days. It would be nice if people actually saw the work of Arbus and became familiar with her story before seeing the movie. Hey, I like for people to be well-informed. I am keeping an open mind. I will probably go to the film when it opens, love it and all of this babbling will be for naught.

No comments: